A breakfast strata is a great way to use up day-old sourdough bread. It makes an easy meal you can throw together the night before, refrigerate, and bake in the morning.
Add bacon, sausage, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, or your favorite seasonal vegetables, for variety.
- 1 pound leftover sourdough bread, cut into cubes (about 12 slices)
- 8 eggs
- 1 quart whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Butter for greasing the pan and dotting the top
- Butter a 9x13-inch pan. Add bread cubes to pan, followed by shredded cheese.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add milk and whisk to combine. Add scallions, salt, and pepper and stir well.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes and dot with several tablespoons of butter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove cover from pan and bake 60 minutes or until custard is set and top begins to brown.