This basic bread recipe is a great one for beginners or those who want a simple sandwich bread for everyday use.This recipe can be used to make a basic loaf of sandwich bread or artisan-style bread.
- 2 1/3 cups fresh sourdough starter
- 3 1/3 cup flour
- 1-1 1/2 cup water
- Scant Tbsp. salt
- Mix sourdough starter, flour, and salt together. Use enough water to make bread dough. (A moist dough is preferable to a dry dough.)
- Knead dough until it passes the “window pane test”: a small piece of dough will stretch between four fingers without breaking thin enough to allow light to pass through.
- Shape the dough into a loaf. Place in a pan or proofing basket, or on a board. Cover lightly with a towel and allow the dough to rise for 4-24 hours. If desired, a short (4-12 hours) proofing period can be used and the dough can be punched down, reshaped, and allowed to rise a second time, but a second proofing period is not required
- Slice an X shape in the top of the loaf with a very sharp knife or razor blade.
- Bake at 400°F until the internal temperature reaches 210°F. (Use a meat thermometer inserted into the bottom or side of the loaf.) Bake 30-60 minutes (depending on loaf size). Cool before slicing.