This refreshing bar will invigorate your bath or hand washing experience. With dried organic peppermint leaf and essential oils of both rosemary and peppermint, this minty green-colored bar is as simple to make as it is lovely to use!
- Double boiler or microwave safe glass measuring cup
- Bowl and spoon for mixing pigment
- Faith Hope Love Soap Mold or soap mold of choice
- Rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle
Keep in mind that the number of soap bars you can make will vary based on the soap mold(s) you choose.
- Prepare your pigment by combining the green pigment powder and the glycerin in a small bowl. Mix well with a fork or spoon until all of the dried pigment is mixed into the liquid glycerin.
Melting & Mixing:
- Cut the block of soap base into ½ - 1 inch pieces and melt soap using a double boiler or microwave.
Using a double boiler: Place soap pieces in the top of the double boiler with the heat on very low. Melt the soap base, stirring periodically, until the soap is mostly melted. Turn the heat off and allow the residual heat to finish the melting process.
Using a microwave: Place soap pieces in a glass heat-proof container and microwave for 30 seconds. After the first 30 seconds, stir to break up the pieces of soap and return to the microwave for an additional 10 seconds. Stir the soap again and repeat with five second intervals until the soap is completely melted. Be careful to avoid allowing the soap to bubble up which can indicate too much time in the microwave.
- As the soap base finishes melting, stir the pigment-glycerin mixture into the melting soap. Start with half of the pigment mixture and add the remaining pigment mixture if a slightly deeper color is desired.
- Once the soap is completely melted, mix in the peppermint leaf and then the essential oils,stirring gently to avoid creating extra bubbles.
- Prepare your soap mold(s) of choice by placing it on a level surface where it can be left undisturbed for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
- Pour the soap mixture into soap mold(s), taking care to not spill the hot soap. If bubbles begin to form on the surface of the poured soap, simply spritz them with the rubbing alcohol and watch them dissipate.
- Let soap cool for at least 30 minutes for smaller molds, and up to several hours or overnight for larger molds in warmer temperatures. Once set, apply firm but gentle pressure around the soap mold to release the bars from the mold.
Shelf Life and Storage Information:
Package the bars according to their specific packaging needs. Due to the herbal mix-ins, this bar is best used within 3-6 months. Also, note that sometimes botanicals will discolor slightly as they age in the bar. This does not necessarily indicate spoilage of the bar.