Holidays, holidays, holidays! They are fast approaching. Looking for some creative gift ideas?
The process of homemade gift giving is always fun for me. Here are a couple of ideas in the form of facial and body scrubs. Why buy them when it is fun to make them yourself? The benefits include controlling the ingredients, the cost is usually nominal, and you usually have the ingredients already in your kitchen. In addition, these recipes have an element of cultured food in them, which renders them “alive” with microflora. Just remember to give and use them within a few days time for their optimal effect.
Almond-Yogurt Facial Scrub
- 2 Tbsp. ground almond meal
- 1 Tbsp. yogurt, preferably whole milk
- 4 tsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. raw honey
- Mix all ingredients in medium bowl until well combined.
- Apply 1/2 of the scrub with fingertips. Using a circular motion, rub into the skin for a couple of minutes, taking care to avoid the eye area. Rinse your face with warm water and pat dry. Reserve the rest for another application, keep in the refrigerator and use with one week.
Kefir-Salt Body Scrub
- 1 cup sea salt
- 3/4 cup milk kefir
- Juice of two lemons or limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 drops of essential oil, any combination (optional)
- Place the salt, kefir, citrus juice, olive oil and essential oils in a medium glass bowl. Whisk until fully combined.
- In the shower, apply the scrub with fingertips, massaging into the skin in a circular motion. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Refrigerate any remaining scrub and use within 3 days.