The clay in this bar provides mineralizing properties while adding a speckled brown look to this khaki-colored bar. A simple recipe for beginning soap makers, you’ll find the neutral fragrance and color a wonderful choice for an all-purpose soap bar!
- Double boiler or microwave safe glass measuring cup
- Bowl and spoon for mixing pigment
- Rectangle Soap Mold or soap mold of choice
- Rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle
Please note the number of soap bars you can make will vary based on the soap mold(s) selected.
- Prepare your pigment and clay mixture by combining the brown pigment powder with the kaolin clay together in a small bowl.
- Add 3 teaspoons of glycerin and mix until a paste forms. If needed, add more glycerin to create the paste.
- Cut the block of soap base into ½ - 1 inch pieces and melt soap using a double boiler or microwave.
Using a double boiler: Place soap pieces in the top of the double boiler with the heat on very low. Melt the soap base, stirring periodically, until the soap is mostly melted. Turn the heat off and allow the residual heat to finish the melting process.
Using a microwave: Place soap pieces in a glass heat-proof container and microwave for 30 seconds. After the first 30 seconds, stir to break up the pieces of soap and return to the microwave for an additional 10 seconds. Stir the soap again and repeat with five second intervals until the soap is completely melted. Be careful to avoid allowing the soap to bubble up which can indicate too much time in the microwave.
- As the soap base finishes melting, stir the pigment-clay-glycerin mixture into the melting soap,mixing carefully to avoid forming too many bubbles. NOTE: As you stir, be sure to scrape the bottom of the melted soap container as some of the clay tends to sink to the bottom. Don’t worry if some of the clay mixture remains unmixed at the bottom of the soap. When this is poured into the mold it will settle and create a lovely speckled effect.
- Once the soap base is completely melted, mix sandalwood oil into melted soap, again stirring gently to avoid creating extra bubbles.
- Prepare your soap mold(s) of choice by placing it on a level surface where it can be left undisturbed for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
- Pour the soap mixture into soap mold(s), taking care to not spill the hot soap. If bubbles begin to form on the surface of the poured soap, simply spritz them with the rubbing alcohol and watch them dissipate.
- Let soap cool for at least 30 minutes for smaller molds, and up to several hours or overnight for larger molds in warmer temperatures. Once set, apply firm but gentle pressure around the soap mold to release the bars from the mold.
Use as a cleansing facial bar or an all-purpose handwashing bar.
Shelf Life and Storage Information:
Package the bars according to their specific packaging needs. This bar should last 6-12 months due to the nature of the add-ins.