The cocoa lends a delicious color and fragrance to this soap bar while the peppermint brightens. A simple soap mold allows this bar’s natural decadence to shine.
- Prepare a double boiler for melting the soap.
- Cut the soap base into ½ inch to 1 inch pieces and place in the top of the double boiler with the heat on very low.
Melting and Mixing:
- Melt the soap base, stirring periodically, until the soap is mostly melted. Turn off the heat and allow the residual heat to finish the melting process.
Alternatively, melt the soap in a glass heat-proof container in the microwave, starting with a 30 second interval. Stir to break up the pieces of soap and return to the microwave for an additional 10 seconds. Stir the soap again and repeat with five second intervals until the soap is completely melted.
Be careful to avoid allowing the soap to bubble up which can indicate too much time in the microwave.
- Add the cocoa powder and peppermint leaf to the melted soap base and stir carefully to avoid forming too many bubbles.
- Once the soap is completely melted, mix in the peppermint essential oil, stirring gently to avoid creating extra bubbles.
- Place the soap mold onto a level surface where it can be left undisturbed for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
- Pour the soap mixture into your chosen soap molds. Be careful to not spill the hot soap as you pour!
Cooling & Packaging:
- Let the soap cool for at least 30 minutes for smaller molds and up to overnight for larger molds in warmer temperatures. Once set, apply firm but gentle pressure around the soap mold to release the bars from the mold.
- Package the bars according to their specific packaging needs. Use this bar in the bath, shower or for handwashing.