A proper aftershave serves three important functions: it contains an antiseptic agent to keep your freshly-shaved skin free from infection, it soothes the skin and it tightens the pores to maintain a clear complexion. Witch hazel extract, with its antimicrobial, anesthetic and astringent properties, fulfills these purposes perfectly, while glycerin helps soften skin. This infusion smells like the high mountain woods and will not irritate the way straight alcohol based aftershaves do.
- Place plant material (cedar needles and sage leaves) in a clean mason jar and pour witch hazel over top. Ensure plant material is covered by 1-2 inches to allow for expansion.
- Cover with lid and store in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks.
- Shake jar daily and add more witch hazel if needed to keep plant material covered.
- Strain through cheesecloth or fine strainer into a clean bottle or jar.
- Add glycerin to the infused witch hazel and shake to combine.