This pretty bar smells like a candy cane and is simply lovely with a red candy swirl. It is the perfect bar to put by the sink for holiday guests, or wrap it up so they can take it home with them.
- Prepare a double boiler for melting the soap.
- Cut the one-pound soap base into ½ inch to 1 inch pieces and place in the top of the double boiler with the heat on very low.
Melting and Mixing:
- Melt the soap base, stirring periodically, until the soap is mostly melted. Turn off the heat and allow the residual heat to finish the melting process.
Alternatively, melt the soap in a glass heat-proof container in the microwave, starting with a 30 second interval. Stir to break up the pieces of soap and return to the microwave for an additional 10 seconds. Stir the soap again and repeat with five second intervals until the soap is completely melted
Be careful to avoid allowing the soap to bubble up which can indicate too much time in the microwave.
- While the soap is melting, combine the glycerin and red oxide pigment together in a small bowl using a fork or a toothpick.
- Once the soap is completely melted, mix in the peppermint essential oil, stirring gently to avoid creating extra bubbles.
- Place the soap mold onto a level surface where it can be left undisturbed for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
- Pour the soap mixture into your chosen soap molds. Be careful to not spill the hot soap as you pour!
- Allow the soap to cool for two minutes then swirl in the pigment.
- Carefully dip the end of a butter knife, popsicle stick, or toothpick into the pigment and swirl it into each of the soap molds. If bubbles begin to form on the surface of the poured soap, simply spritz them with the rubbing alcohol and watch them dissipate.
Cooling and Packaging:
- Let the soap cool for at least 30 minutes for smaller molds and up to overnight for larger molds in warmer temperatures. Once set, apply firm but gentle pressure around the soap mold to release the bars from the mold.
- Package the bars according to their specific packaging needs. This bar is best suited for the bath, shower or hand washing!