Make the most of spring with this Asian-inspired crunchy ferment.
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2/3 Lbs. radishes
- 1/3 Lbs. carrots
- 4 scallions
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- Oak, grape, or mesquite leaves (optional, to retain crunch)
- Make a brine by dissolving sea salt in water.
- Cut radishes and carrots into thick slices. Finely chop scallions.
- Add ginger to the bottom of a quart jar. Top with radishes, carrots, and scallions, distributing evenly throughout. Pour brine over all, leaving about 1-1/2 inches of headspace. Place leaves on top of vegetables.
- If necessary, weigh the vegetables down under the brine.
- Cover jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the vegetables are finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop.