Save the sunny goodness of lemons for use any time of year.
- Wash lemons. Slice thin, turn, and cut the slices again, lengthwise.
- Place lemon strips in a clean quart jar, and compress slightly with the back of your hand. Mix kombucha or vinegar with lemon juice in a bowl. Add salt.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture into the jar. Release any air bubbles. Top off with room-temperature filtered water to 1 inch below the rim of the jar. Swirl to mix.
- Cover jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) For about 2 weeks. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the lemons are finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop.
When you are ready to use your lemons, scoop the pulp away and cut skin into a julienne. Or use both the pulp and skin according to your taste.
You can also add cloves or cinnamon sticks to this recipe to spice it up!