Sweet n’ spicy, this chutney is a treat for all seasons.
- 4 cups very ripe black cherries, pitted and chopped coarse
- ½ tsp. whole cloves
- Grated rind of 1 small orange
- ½ cup sucanut or rapadura
- ¼ cup whey
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup filtered water, room temperature
- In a medium bowl, mix cherries and cloves with grated orange rind. Stir and mash them together a little bit, then cover the bowl with a towel.
- Let the mixture sit on the counter, undisturbed, for about 15 minutes, to let the juices draw and combine.
- Scoop the cherry mixture into a clean quart jar. In the empty bowl from the cherry mixture, mix remaining ingredients together using a whisk to combine. Pour into the jar with the cherry mixture leaving 1 inch headspace in the jar. Mix and add more water if necessary.
- If necessary, weigh the mixture down under the brine to keep it submerged.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved, about 2 days. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once desired flavor is achieved, or after about 2 days, transfer the jar to the refrigerator or cold storage, where it will keep up to 2 months.