Extra carrots? Extra cauliflower? Cut them into bite-size pieces for this zesty finger food!
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly crushed, but still intact
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, rinsed in cold water
- 3 large carrots, cut into thin sticks
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1 quart filtered water
- Place the crushed garlic in the bottom of a clean quart jar. Follow with layers of cauliflower and carrots, making sure there is an even mixture of both inside the jar.
- Dissolve sea salt in water. Fill up the remaining space in the jar with the salt solution. Use a wooden or plastic utensil to release any air bubbles trapped along the sides of the jar.
- If necessary, weigh the vegetables down under the brine.
- Cover each jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the vegetables are finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop.