Peppers come in all shapes and sizes. Ferment them separately, one type per jar, or mix them up for more color. This recipe will give you a lovely jar of sunny yellow peppers to enjoy during cool weather.
- 1 lb. banana peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 or more onion, sliced
- 4 Tbsp. whey
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- Filtered water
- Slice the peppers into rounds, filling a clean quart jar up to 1 inch below the rim. Mix in the garlic and onion as you go.
- Add the whey and salt. Cover the mixture with filtered water, leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Screw a lid or airlock onto the filled jar, and set it in a cool place away from drafts and direct sunlight.
- Burp the jar once a day for the first week, once every other day for the second week, then once at the end of the third week. You will notice the color begin to change and become darker as the fermentation progresses.