Use up that never-ending supply of zucchini in the middle of summer! This recipe makes use of zucchini and other flavorful additions to create a tasty topping much like cucumber pickle relish for your favorite grilled meats and salads.
- 3 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- Handful of fresh dill, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- Oak, grape, or mesquite leaves (optional)
- Combine all ingredients through sea salt in a medium bowl and gently pound with a Cabbage Crusher or other pounding tool for a few minutes, until a brine begins to form.
- Transfer all ingredients to a quart jar and press down until brine covers vegetables. Leave 1 1/2 inches of headspace at the top of the jar.
- Place leaves on top of vegetables followed by a weight to keep the vegetables submerged.
- Place a lid on the jar and ferment 3 to 10 days at room temperature. If not using an airlock, “burp” jar every day for the first few days to allow gases to escape.
- Transfer to cold storage once it is tangy and bubbly.