The acidity of kombucha makes it a great addition to meat marinades. Try this zippy combination of spices and kombucha for your next casserole or pasta dish.
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 Lbs. fresh ground pork (up to 1/4 Lbs. of additional pork fat can be added to the mix for more moistness, if desired)
- 1/4 cup extra-sour kombucha
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- A few dashes of dried hot pepper flakes or 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Place fennel seeds, dried parsley, bay leaves, and peppercorns in a clean coffee mill and grind coarsely.
- Place ground pork in a bowl large enough to allow for mixing. Pour kombucha over pork and sprinkle with spice mix. Add minced garlic, salt, and cayenne, if using. Mix together until spices are evenly distributed throughout the ground meat. Place meat mixture in a resealable plastic bag or a glass bowl with a tight lid and refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours.
- Use in any recipe calling for bulk Italian sausage. Cook sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F.