These biscuits are a twist on the wheat biscuit, both in flavor and in texture. Rich, nutty, and delicious, these biscuits are wonderful with honey and butter. Use our Gluten-Free Sourdough Starter and gluten-free oat flour if you are sensitive to gluten.
- In a medium bowl, cut cold butter into oat flour. Mix in gluten-free sourdough starter; add in milk gradually until a stiff dough starts to form. Once dough is stiff but pulls together, cover and sour 8-18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix salt and baking powder in a small bowl and sprinkle over soured dough. Knead for a couple of minutes, adding oat flour as needed to keep the dough from being too sticky.
- Once everything is well-incorporated, flour a clean surface and pat dough out into a large rectangle 3/4-inch high. Use a biscuit cutter or sharp knife to cut into biscuits.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes or until browned on the bottom and firm on top.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Ready to Learn More?
- The Art of Gluten-free Sourdough Baking
- A Guide to Binders in Gluten-free Sourdough Baking
- A Guide to Flour Substitutions in Gluten-free Sourdough Baking
- Sourdough Expert Advice Articles, How-to Videos and Recipes
- An Introduction to Working With Gluten-free Sourdough
- Preparing Fresh Sourdough Starter for Baking