This loaf combines the goodness of sourdough and whole grains with freshly shredded zucchini and honey. It is a lightly-sweetened version of a favorite summer treat.
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice sourdough starter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 cups (packed) shredded zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix sourdough starter, milk, and flours until combined into a stiff dough. Cover and soak 6-12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place shredded zucchini in a clean towel and squeeze as much moisture out as you can.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in honey, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir in zucchini shreds.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon over the soured dough; add egg-honey mixture and mix in gently until well-combined. Fold in walnuts.
- Divide the batter between two buttered loaf pans, filling each pan 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Place pans in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the tops are set, the bottom has browned, and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing.