Sour cream is the star of this early-morning staple.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a large cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in the butter, and mix with a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly like cornmeal.
- Stir in the sour cream to bring the mixture together and turn the dough out on a floured board. Knead for 3 minutes, until the dough is smooth and well blended.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 10 minutes in the freezer.
- Flour work space sparsely and roll the chilled dough out until it is 1 inch thick. Cut the dough into 3-inch round biscuits, and position them ¼-inch apart on the greased baking sheet.
- Combine the excess dough and roll it out again, repeating the process of cutting biscuits until all the dough is gone.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-18 minutes, or until golden brown on the tops and sides. Serve hot with fresh butter.