Rieska is a Finnish bread baked at a high temperature, similar in texture to a drop biscuit. It is delicious served with butter and jam for breakfast or alongside a hearty bowl of soup.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Combine oats, rye flour, and spelt flour. Cut in butter until pea-sized. Stir in buttermilk to form a sticky dough.
- Cover bowl with a tea towel and place in a warm spot for 12-24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 500°F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan. Combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a small bowl with a fork. Sprinkle over the soaked dough and mix in until completely combined.
- Transfer to the prepared baking pan and pat out with clean hands until evenly distributed.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the top is light golden brown and pushes back when gently touched.
- Move to a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.