By soaking the flour the night before, this recipe lets you get a healthy head start on your morning routine. Baked into two large pancakes instead of fried, these pancakes also lend a new twist to a breakfast classic.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- In a large, non-metal bowl, mix flour and buttermilk. Cover and soak flour 12-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place eggs in food processor and process for several minutes. Once eggs are well beaten, mix in the soaked flour mixture, vanilla, water and salt, pulsing after each addition.
- Melt half the butter in a large skillet. Place the skillet into the preheated oven. When the butter has just melted and begun to sizzle, pour half the batter into the hot buttered pan.
- Bake until pancake is puffed and browned. Remove finished pancake and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut into portions and serve with butter and honey.