This old-fashioned recipe was often used by those who couldn’t afford the fancy maple syrup. The rich sweetness, with just a hint of tang from the buttermilk, creates a delicious syrup for pancakes, waffles, or oatmeal.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup Sucanat or other whole sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, Sucanat, buttermilk, honey, and salt. Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Stir in baking soda and continue to boil, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla until foam subsides. Cool until thickened to desired consistency.