Rich, creamy, and delicious. Few people realize the amazing flavor that can be achieved by using cultured buttermilk to make ice cream. This simple recipe can be enhanced with your favorite fruits or other toppings.
- 2-1/2 cups fresh cultured buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1/3 cup Sucanat or other whole sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl or plastic container with a lid. Place the covered container into the refrigerator to chill the buttermilk mixture for 3 hours.
- Pour the mixture into your crank freezer or electric ice-cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- Pack ice cream into a 1-quart lidded container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it onto the surface of the ice cream. Place the ice cream into the freezer and leave until fully set, about 5-6 hours, or overnight.
- No ice cream maker? Choose an option in our article on How to Make Cultured Ice Cream Without a Machine.