There is something about a stuffed pepper that is irresistible… especially when cheese is involved!
- 3 sweet bell peppers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 to 4 stems fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed small
- 1 sweet potato, washed, cooked, and mashed
- 4-ounces shitake mushrooms, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and sauté mushrooms, garlic, red pepper flakes, and basil for 3 to 5 minutes. Add mozzarella. Toss to combine. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Cut tops off of the peppers, leaving the peppers whole. Save the removed tops. Scoop out seeds and cores from peppers. Brush the outsides of the peppers with olive oil. Mix some of the remaining olive oil with cooked ingredients in skillet, only enough to coat well. Stir in the mashed sweet potato, blending well.
- Fill peppers with skillet fillings and replace the tops.
- Cook peppers on preheated grill over indirect heat or in the oven at 400°F. Bake until peppers become tender and the skin begins to char.
- Cut each pepper into halves and sprinkle with the lime juice. You can also use a balsamic vinaigrette or just plain olive oil for drizzling instead of the lime juice.