Leeks add just the right amount of tang to creamy mozzarella for this savory side dish.
- 2 Lbs. fresh leeks, rinsed and drained (just the white parts)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Boil the leeks in water with a pinch of salt for 7 to 10 minutes, or until they are cooked but still firm. Drain away the water.
- Put the hot leeks into a glass baking dish, and cover them with a layer of basil leaves. Lay the sliced cheese over the basil.
- Place the dish, uncovered, into the oven. Watch it, and when the cheese has melted and is bubbly and slightly browning, pull it out.
- Mix the oil and vinegar together, mix in some salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle it over the cheese.