Goat cheese adds a tasty tang to almost any dish. This elegant appetizer is no exception!
- Baguette, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 2 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 11-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh herb sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the bread slices on two heavy baking sheets. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the bread slices. Bake until the crostini are pale golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the herbs, lemon zest, pepper, and salt in a medium bowl to blend.
- Using about 2 teaspoons of cheese for each, form the goat cheese into 1-inch diameter balls.
- Roll the cheese balls in the herb mixture to coat completely.
- Arrange the cheese balls on a platter.
- Drizzle the extra-virgin olive oil over and around the cheese balls.
- Serve with the crostini. Garnish with herb sprigs.
The crostini and cheese balls can be prepared a day ahead. Store the crostini in an airtight container at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate the cheese balls.