These sandwiches are simply delectable, bursting with the full, ripe flavor of tomatoes, the tang of goat cheese, and the aroma of fresh basil, all surrounded by the unbeatable taste of grilled sourdough. Add thick slices of ham or turkey for a filling and delicious dinner.
- In a small bowl, combine oil and garlic. Brush all cut sides of the slices of bread with half of this oil mixture.
- On a very hot griddle,grill the bread on both sides until visibly toasted.
- Spread all of the slices of hot bread with goat cheese on one side. Sprinkle with the chopped basil and rosemary, and top with tomato slices. Do this with half of all of the slices, and turn them together to make thick sandwiches, or cover all of the slices with herbs and tomatoes to make open-faced sandwiches.
- Return the sandwiches to the grill, just long enough to melt the cheese and warm the tomatoes.
- Turn them out onto a serving platter, drizzle with the remaining oil and garlic, cut them smaller if desired, and serve warm.