With creamy ricotta cheese, tangy parmesan, and the complementary flavors of artichoke and spinach, this is a delicious take on a favorite Italian dish.
- 2 cups homemade ricotta cheese
- 1 package frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted, drained, and chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp. dried basil or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. butter or ghee
- 2 batches sourdough pizza crust or other favorite pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms; sauté until vegetables are tender and mushrooms give up some of their liquid. Stir in garlic, artichokes, spinach, and basil. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Add ricotta and parmesan cheeses to cooled vegetables; mix together well.
- Divide pizza dough into 10 pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Place about 1/3 cup of filling on pizza dough. Fold in half and pinch edges together. Place on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil, if desired.
- Bake calzones for 20 minutes in 400°F oven. Eat hot or cold.