Water Kefir Starter Kit
5 Hand-picked ingredients and supplies to get you started!
Get your probiotics the homemade way! Add water kefir grains to sugar water, coconut water, or juice to make a fizzy drink that’s a kid-friendly soda replacement. Start a quart of this dairy-free treat in just a few minutes—it’s easy! This kit includes our re-usable Water Kefir Grains plus
supplies to get you started with your first 3 batches; just add water.
TOTAL TIME: 3-4 days to activate, then 1-2 days per batch
ACTIVE TIME: 5 minutes per batch
Includes Supplies for: Activation batch + 3 quart-sized batches + Water Kefir Grains that you can continue to use to make water kefir!
Hand-Picked Ingredients & Supplies
In This Kit:
This fine-weave butter muslin makes a great jar cover, keeping away unwanted critters and protecting your water kefir as it cultures. Cut it to fit the size of your jar and re-use over and over with water kefir batches.
- 1 square yard (91 cm x 91 cm)
- 100% unbleached cotton
Water Kefir Grains are the key ingredient in making the fizzy, fermented drink known as water kefir. When added to sugar water, fruit juice, or coconut water and left to sit on your counter these grains produce a sweet, carbonated beverage your whole family can enjoy!
- Culturing Temperature: 68° - 85°F
- Culturing Time: 1 to 2 days per batch
- Usage: Use 1 packet with up to 2 quarts of water.
- Ingredients: Organic sugar, live active cultures.
- Allergen Information: Manufactured in a facility that also processes products containing soy and dairy | Non-GMO | Gluten-free
- Storage: Shelf stable. Freezer storage is not recommended.
- Care: With the proper care, this culture can be used indefinitely. Culture away from potential contaminants (trash cans, other foods, etc.) with correct ingredients and ratios.
Organic white cane sugar gives us the most reliable results when making water kefir. We've provided enough in this kit for activating your grains and 3 more quart-sized batches. Use 1/4 cup sugar for each quart-sized batch.
- 95% Organic Cane Sugar
- 7.65 oz. bag (1 cup)
Water kefir cultures best at room temperature. Too cold a temperature and your grains may get sluggish. This stick-on thermometer is a hassle-free way to keep an eye on the temperature of your culturing water kefir. Just adhere to your glass jar and you're ready to go!
- Measures in both Fahrenheit and Celcius
- Range: 58° - 88°F (14° - 31°C)
- Material: Adhesive Tape: Double-Coated Adhesive Tape | Covering Film: Polyester 5 mil stock | Color Change Material: Non toxic mixture of liquid crystal esters
- Shelf Life: 12 months when stored at room temperature. Can last up to several years if stored and used in proper conditions such as being stored at room temp, kept away from UV light, and not exposed to moisture and solvents.
- Accuracy: - 30 to 59°C ±1°C | 60 to 89°C ±2°C | 90 to 120°C ±3°C | 75µ
You'll need this strainer when transferring your Water Kefir Grains from batch to batch or straining flavorings. It also serves as a good measuring tool. When your grains start to outgrow the strainer it's time to pass some along to a friend!
- Country of Origin: Italy
- Materials: BPA-free PP plastic handle & nylon mesh strainer
- Care: Dishwasher safe
- Dimensions: 2.5 inches |Holds about 1/4 cup
Glass Jar, Water, Cozy Spot to Culture
Tips & Tricks:
THE JAR: We recommend using a glass jar for making water kefir. You will need one large enough to hold one quart of liquid.
THE WATER: Water kefir cultures best with water that is as free from contaminants as possible. We suggest using water free from chlorine and fluoride. You can get this by:
(1) Filtering water at home (just check your filter to make sure it removes chlorines and fluorides)
(2) Purchasing bottled spring water in a jug from a grocery store (just check the label, make sure there aren't electrolytes or other additives in it)
WANT MORE INFO? Choosing Water for Making Water Kefir
Your Water Kefir Grains should last forever if you take care of them. Here are a few ways to keep them happy and healthy:
- Be patient and give your grains time to wake up and adjust to their new surroundings.
- Keep your grains in a warm spot: 68°-85°F
- Keep your grains away from possible contaminants like trash cans or other ferments.
- Give them fresh sugar water every 24 to 48 hours or sooner (every 24 to 36 hours) on warmer days (above 85°F).
- Keep your grains out of the refrigerator if you can. Learn how to safely take a break from making water kefir.
Bottling water kefir helps make it fizzy. Cultures present in finished water kefir will continue to feed on any sugar present. When water kefir is put in an airtight bottle, fermentation gasses from the water kefir can't escape, making the drink even fizzier. Here are some tips for the best bottling experience.
- Add a packet of sugar to the bottle for something extra for the cultures to feast on.
- Bottle your finished water for 2 to 7 days, depending on how warm your home is.
- You can check how bubbly your water kefir is by gently tipping your bottle. Do this after a day or so.
- If you see bubbles swarming to the top, burp your bottles every 24 hours or so to release some pressure.
- Moving the water kefir to the fridge will stop the fermentation, so wait until you see some bubbles when tilting the bottle to move it to the fridge.
- To minimize any mess while opening, open the bottles over a sink. Place a towel over the top of the bottle and apply downward pressure on the cap while opening.