Lacto-fermented Pear Chutney
- 3 to 4 pears, cored and chopped (with or without the skin, as you prefer)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried raisins
- 1/2 pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 cup (or more) filtered water
- 1 quart glass jar with lid, sanitized
- Mix chopped fruit and nuts together in a large metal bowl.
- Add salt, lemon juice, onion, and spices, and mix well with a wooden spoon. Allow the mixture to set undisturbed for 20 to 30 minutes. This is a good time to get your jar sanitized.
- Using a wooden spoon, pack the pear mixture tightly into the jar. Pound down lightly so that the chutney is compressed and the liquid rises.
- Add room-temperature filtered water as necessary to bring liquid level with the fruit mixture, having it all come to about 1 inch below the top of the jar.
- Cover with an airlock or standard disc-and-band lid. Burp standard lids regularly. Place in a location away from direct sunlight.
- Keep at room temperature 2 to 4 days before moving the chutney to cold storage or to the refrigerator.
Ready to Learn More?