This unusual condiment makes a great addition to an party recipe, or put them in small attractive jars for an attractive gift.
- 5 limes
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons kombucha or apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- 1/2 cup fresh or bottled lime juice
- Wash limes. Slice thin, turn, and cut the slices again, lengthwise.
- Place in a clean quart jar and compress slightly with the back of your hand. Mix kombucha or vinegar with lime juice in a bowl. Add salt.
- Pour the lime juice mixture into the jar. Release any air bubbles with a plastic butter knife or other nonmetal utensil. Top off with room-temperature filtered water to 1 inch below the rim of the jar. Swirl to mix.
- Cover tightly with airlock lid, or use a standard band and lid and burp every 4 hours.
- Leave in a cool, dark place for about 2 weeks, burping in gradually longer intervals, and turning the jar every day or so.
- Place in cold storage.
When you are ready to use your lacto-fermented limes, scoop the pulp away and cut skin into a julienne. Keep both pulp and skin depending on the recipe you’re using the limes in.
Ready to Learn More?