This unusual condiment makes a great addition to any party recipe, or put them in small jars for an attractive gift.
- 5 limes
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons kombucha or apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup lime juice
- Wash limes. Slice thin, turn, and cut the slices again, lengthwise.
- Place limes in a clean quart jar, and compress slightly with the back of your hand. Mix kombucha or vinegar with lime juice in a bowl. Add salt.
- Pour the lime juice mixture into the jar. Release any air bubbles. Top off with room-temperature filtered water to 1 inch below the rim of the jar. Swirl to mix.
- Cover jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) For about 2 weeks. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the limes are finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop.
When you are ready to use your limes, scoop the pulp away and cut skin into a julienne. Or use both the pulp and skin according to your taste.
Ready for More Cultured Recipes?