Save the sunny goodness of lemons for use any time of year.
- 5 lemons (thin-skinned lemons work very well)
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons kombucha or apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Wash lemons. Slice thin, turn, and cut the slices again, lengthwise.
- Place lemon strips in a clean quart jar, and compress slightly with the back of your hand. Mix kombucha or vinegar with lemon juice in a bowl. Add salt.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture into the jar. Release any air bubbles. Top off with room-temperature filtered water to 1 inch below the rim of the jar. Swirl to mix.
- Cover tightly with airlock lid, or use a standard band and lid and burp every 4 hours.
- Leave in a cool, dark place for about 2 weeks, burping in gradually longer intervals, and turning the jar every day or so.
- Place in cold storage.
When you are ready to use your lemons, scoop the pulp away and cut skin into a julienne. Or use both the pulp and skin according to your taste.
You can also add cloves or cinnamon sticks to this recipe to spice it up!
Ready to Learn More?