Lacto-fermented Kohlrabi Pickles with Dill and Mustard
The slightly cabbage flavor of kohlrabi blends well with those familiar flavors of mustard and dill in this crunchy pickle.
- 3 medium kohlrabi, peeled and cut into spears
- 1 handful of fresh dill
- 1½ teaspoons of mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1½-2 cups of water, as needed
- Place fresh dill and mustard seed in the bottom of a quart jar.
- Combine 1½ cups water and the salt and stir to dissolve.
- Pack kohlrabi spears on top of the herbs and spices, leaving 1½ inches headspace.
- Cover vegetables with brine, adding more water as needed to cover, but leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Cover jar tightly with lid and add airlock, if using. Ferment at room temperature for 1-3 weeks. If you are not using an airlock system be sure to burp the jars daily until the gases stop building up.
- Once the bubbles have stopped forming and the flavor has reached the desired sourness, move the jar to cold storage.
Ready for More Cultured Vegetable Recipes?