It seems like everyone has a favorite hummus recipe. Here’s one we like a lot.
- 3 cups garbanzo beans, cooked and drained (you can use 2 cans of organic garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained, or cook your own from dried beans)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Celtic sea salt to taste (usually about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup whey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne or ground chipotle, optional
- Place drained beans in the bowl of a food processor. Add garlic, tahini, cumin, salt, and lemon juice, and blend until smooth. The mixture will be thick.
- Pour in starter culture and blend briefly. Scrape mixture into two widemouth pint jars and cap tightly. Let sit at room temperature for 3 days. Move to the refrigerator and use within a month.
As a variation, use cooked and drained white beans for an equally tasty hummus.