Lacto-fermented Cucumber Relish
A little lighter than traditional pickle relish, with the extra benefit of a little savory spice.
- 3 cups shredded cucumbers
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- Dill seed
- Mustard seed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 quart filtered water
- Sanitize one quart jar, with an airlock lid or standard ring-and-band.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, peppers, and onion. Toss to combine.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dill seed, and 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Allow the vegetable mixture to sit, covered, on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes to let the juices combine a little.
- Meanwhile, make a light brine using the filtered water and sea salt, and chill it.
- Begin filling the quart jar with the relish, pounding it down a bit to get the juices together and to get it to fit into the jar. Fill only to 1 inch below the rim of the jar.
- Fill the jar with the light brine, using a butter knife to release any air bubbles caught against the side of the jar.
- Screw down the lid of the jar and set it somewhere away from drafts and direct sunlight. Let it sit for 3 to 4 days, or until it becomes bubbly and fragrant.
Place the jar in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Ready to Learn More?