Lacto-fermented Cauliflower, Carrots, and Garlic
Extra carrots? Extra cauliflower? Cut them into bite-size pieces for this zesty finger food!
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly crushed, but still intact
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, rinsed in cold water
- 3 large carrots, cut into thin sticks
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 quart filtered water
- Place the crushed garlic in the bottom of a clean quart jar. Follow with layers of cauliflower and carrots, making sure there is an even mixture of both inside the jar.
- Dissolve sea salt in water. Fill up the remaining space in the jar with the salt solution. Use a wooden or plastic utensil to release any air bubbles trapped along the sides of the jar.
- Place a plain or airlock lid on the jar and ferment in a cool place away from drafts and direct sunlight. Keep an eye on the ferment, tasting it periodically and burping the jar if necessary.
- Once the vegetables are fermented to taste, move the jar to cold storage, keeping a lid tightly on it when not in use. Will keep for up to 3 weeks in cold storage.
Ready for More Cultured Vegetable Recipes?