This savory marinade is a change from the tomato-based barbecue sauce you might be accustomed to. The subtle flavors of the kombucha really bring out the best in the meat, and there is a bit of tenderizing action too!
- 1 cup kombucha tea*
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, rapadura, Sucanat, or similar sugar containing molasses
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours prior to using to allow the flavors to meld.
Makes approximately 1 cup.
*This is a great way to use kombucha tea that has over-fermented and has a vinegar-like taste. If using kombucha that is less fermented, use less sugar to taste.