Kefir Cheese Balls in Olive Oil
These versatile little cheese balls are a great party snack or addition to a lunch. Kefir cheese stored this way keeps longer and the olive oil adds a great flavor and smoothness to your cheese.
- 1 quart plain milk kefir, thick and sour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Olive oil
- Herbs, if desired
- Line a clean colander with butter muslin and place it into a bowl. Pour the kefir into the lined colander and tie up the ends of the muslin to make a draining sack. Hang the sack to drain.
- Allow the kefir to drain for one day or until the cheese is the desired consistency and will mold easily into a ball in the palm of your hand.
- Once the cheese is ready, untie the draining sack and scrape the kefir cheese out into a plastic bowl or container.
- Mix in salt, and blend well with a rubber spatula. Herbs and spices may also be added at this point.
- Begin scooping the cheese out and rolling it into small balls, about the size of a ping-pong ball.
- Fill a clean, sanitized quart jar with olive oil about halfway. Begin dropping the cheese balls into the oil, gently.
- Once you have made all the cheese into balls, top the jar off with olive oil and seal tightly with a lid.
- Kefir cheese balls in olive oil will store well in the pantry or the fridge and will generally keep for months.
- If your cheese balls begin to crumble after a few weeks, the cheese was too dry. Try adding a tablespoon of fresh cream with the salt in the next batch.