Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.
Product was successfully added to your comparison list.
Kefir Cheese Balls in Olive Oil
These versatile little cheese balls are a great party snack or addition to lunch. Kefir cheese stored this way keeps longer, and the olive oil adds a great flavor and smoothness to your cheese.
- Line a clean colander with butter muslin and place it into a bowl. Pour the kefir into the lined colander and tie up the ends of the muslin to make a draining sack. Hang the sack to drain.
- Allow the kefir to drain for one day or until the cheese is the desired consistency and will mold easily into a ball in the palm of your hand.
- Once the cheese is ready, untie the draining sack and scrape the kefir cheese out into a plastic bowl or container.
- Mix in salt, and blend well with a rubber spatula. Add herbs and spices, if desired.
- Scoop the cheese out and roll it into small balls, about the size of ping-pong balls.
- Fill a clean quart jar with olive oil about halfway. Gently drop the cheese balls into the oil.
- Once all the cheese is made into balls, top the jar off with olive oil and seal tightly with a lid.
- Kefir cheese balls in olive oil will store well in the pantry or the fridge and will generally keep for months.
- If the cheese balls begin to crumble after a few weeks, the cheese was too dry. Try adding a tablespoon of fresh cream with the salt in the next batch.