Gluten-free Sourdough Whole Grain Zucchini Bread
This loaf combines the goodness of sourdough and whole grains with freshly shredded zucchini and honey. It is a lightly-sweetened version of a favorite summer treat.
- 1½ cups brown rice sourdough starter
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup sorghum flour,
- ¾ cup brown rice
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 cups (packed) shredded zucchini
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup honey
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix sourdough starter, milk, and flours until combined into a stiff dough. Cover and soak 6-12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place shredded zucchini in a clean towel and squeeze as much moisture out as you can.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in honey, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir in zucchini shreds.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon over the soured dough; add egg-honey mixture and mix in gently until well-combined. Fold in walnuts.
- Divide the batter between two buttered loaf pans, filling each pan one half to two-thirds full.
- Place pans in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the tops are set, the bottom has browned, and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Ready for More Gluten-free Cultured Recipes?