- 1-1/2 cups organic whole grain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup brown rice sourdough starter
- 1-1/2 cups milk (or cultured dairy)
- Butter for skillet
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or bacon grease
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, sourdough starter, and milk. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight, to sour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with butter.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and whisk in honey and melted butter or bacon grease. Pour this over the soured batter, but do not mix yet.
- Sprinkle the salt and baking powder over the batter and mix until the dry and wet ingredients are well-combined.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet and place in preheated oven.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread. Allow to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with butter and jam.