Gluten-free Sourdough Molasses Spice Cake
This sweet, spicy snack cake is made even better by the very slight tang of sourdough. Serve with tea for an afternoon treat.
- 1 cup brown rice sourdough starter
- 3/4 cup superfine white rice flour
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup potato or tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup Sucanat
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix together sourdough starter, flours, and starch until a stiff dough comes together. Cover and let sour 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour an 8x8-inch baking pan. In a medium bowl, cream butter with Sucanat and molasses. Beat in eggs, sea salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Using a wooden spoon or your hands (it can be tough at first), blend the butter-sweetener-egg mixture into the soured dough. Sprinkle baking soda over the dough and blend until completely combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted into the center.
Ready to Learn More?