Gluten-free Sourdough Molasses Spice Cake
This sweet, spicy snack cake is made even better by the very slight tang of sourdough. Serve with tea for an afternoon treat.
- 1 cup brown rice sourdough starter
- ¾ cup superfine white rice flour
- ¼ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup potato or tapioca starch
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup Sucanat
- ½ cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix together sourdough starter, flours, and starch until a stiff dough comes together. Cover and let sour 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter with Sucanat and molasses. Beat in eggs, sea salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Blend the butter mixture into the soured dough. Sprinkle baking soda over the dough and blend until completely combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Ready for More Gluten-free Sourdough Recipes?