These hamburger buns are a spin-off of a dinner roll recipe, but work really well as the bookends to the perfect burger (or sandwich). Butter them and toast them, once split, for a delicious gluten-free burger.
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- ⅔ cup gluten-free sourdough starter
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 1/4 cups sorghum flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl; add water, melted butter, honey, and gluten-free sourdough starter. Mix until all wet ingredients are completely combined.
- Add rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, and baking powder, in that order. Mix in the flours until everything looks combined, then beat by hand or with a hand-held mixer for at least five minutes, to allow the xanthan gum to fully bind with the other ingredients.
- Generously butter a baking sheet. Scoop out ½ cup of dough at a time and place on buttered baking sheet, leaving at least 1½ inches between each bun. Fill the baking sheet, and if needed butter and fill a second one.
- Fill a small bowl with water. Smooth out the tops of the rolls with clean fingertips, moistening them in the water as needed to keep from sticking.
- Once shaped as desired, sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds, very lightly pressing them into the dough.
- Cover the buns loosely with a damp towel, propping it up with small cups between the buns if needed. Place in a warm spot to rise for 6-8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake buns 20 minutes or until set on top and golden brown on bottom. Transfer immediately to cooling rack. Serve warm with burgers, or cool and eat as sandwich buns.
Buns will be good for eating for 2-3 days after baking. Store in a closed container.
Ready for More Gluten-Free Sourdough Recipes?
Back to our complete list of Gluten-free Sourdough Recipes