This soured quick bread is just sweet enough and includes festive mix-ins like cranberries, walnuts, and cinnamon. Serve it with softened butter and tea.
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice sourdough starter
- 3/4 cup milk or cultured dairy
- 3/4 cup each white rice, sorghum, and tapioca flours
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, halved
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix sourdough starter, milk, flours, and flax seed until combined into a stiff dough. Cover and allow to sour 6 to 12 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in honey, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt over the soured dough. Pour the egg-honey mixture over this and mix in gently.
- Add the cranberries and walnuts, and finish mixing everything together until well combined.
- Divide the batter among two buttered loaf pans, filling them each half to two-thirds full.
- Place pans in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the tops are set, the bottom has browned, and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Ready to Learn More?