These fritters are deliciously crisp around the edges from a shallow fry in coconut oil, but have a creamy center as the banana melts into the batter. They are free of gluten, eggs, dairy, and gums often used in gluten-free baking, and therefore are a real treat for those with many food restrictions.
Feel free to swap out the banana for apple or peaches or whatever fruit is in season.
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free sourdough starter
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 very large banana (or 2 small), sliced thinly
- Coconut oil, lard, or ghee for frying
- Preheat skillet over medium-low heat with enough coconut oil added to create a thin layer on the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine sourdough starter, flax, cinnamon, coconut milk, and honey. Cut banana slices into batter, then sprinkle the leavening agents on top. Mix until combined.
- Once oil is hot, very carefully spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of batter into hot fat. Shallow fry, as you might a pancake, and flip once bubbles form and the edges are firming up. Cook on the other side until they are set up.
- Transfer to a warming plate and keep warm in the oven while you finish frying the rest of the fritters. Add fat as needed for frying.
Serve warm, drizzled with honey or powdered sugar.
Ready to Learn More?