This recipe combines some of the best parts of German food with some wonderful cultured creations. The sauerkraut can be added to the pizza crust and baked with the sour cream sauce. Or, if you prefer to preserve the enzymes and probiotics of the sauerkraut, bake the pizza with the bacon and sour cream sauce, cool, then top with fresh sauerkraut. This method produces a wonderful juxtaposition of rich and tangy flavor.
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup melted butter, cooled
- 2 cups flour, plus more for kneading
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2½ cups sauerkraut
- Combine the sourdough starter, honey, salt, melted butter and 1½ cups flour in a large mixing bowl. Mix well to combine all ingredients and begin adding a little more flour, as needed, until a dough forms.
- Sprinkle a work surface with a bit more flour and move dough to work surface. Knead until ingredients are all combined and a soft dough begins to take form, adding more flour as necessary.
- Transfer dough to a greased mixing bowl and cover to prevent drying out. Let sit in a warm space for 4 to 7 hours.
- Chop bacon into bite-size pieces and fry in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove from grease with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in sour cream, caraway seed, salt, and pepper until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll dough out into a rectangle to fit an average-size baking sheet. Transfer to baking sheet and crimp in edges.
- Sprinkle bacon evenly over crust. If you are cooking the sauerkraut, distribute it evenly over the crust.
- Drizzle the egg-sour cream mixture evenly over the bacon.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until bread is nicely browned on edges and underneath.
- Cool 5 minutes and then cut into squares to serve. If you reserved the sauerkraut, make sure the pizza is not hot to the touch and then top each square with a generous spoonful of well-drained kraut. Serve.
Ready for More Warm Cultured Snack Recipes?