Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Cheese
A delicious frozen dessert made with yogurt cheese (labneh) instead of plain yogurt, this cultured treat will make your sweet tooth smile.
- 2 cups yogurt cheese (labneh)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup thinly sliced strawberries
- Stir together the cheese, sugar and vanilla in a large glass bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with a whisk until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cheese mixture, using a wooden spoon to gently blend.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Cover bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6-10 hours, or overnight.
- Pour mixture into a crank freezer or electric ice-cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, improvise using this method:
- Fill a quart-sized plastic bag two-thirds full with the strawberry mixture; zip closed.
- Place inside a gallon-size plastic bag. Hold the mouths of the bags flush and fill outer bag with crushed ice and rock salt, in layers.
- Zip the outer bag closed and begin to massage and shake the bags to achieve the same effect as from a classic ice cream freezer.
- Keep checking the inner bag to see if the ice cream has frozen sufficiently.
Makes 6 servings.
Ready for More Yogurt Dessert Recipes?