An aromatic, mesophilic culture used in producing Cottage Cheese, Neufchatel, Chevre, and other soft cheeses. Also used as the culture in flavorful aged cheese varieties such as Blue Cheese and Baby Swiss.
- Each box contains 8 packets of direct-set starter culture.
- Store extra packets in the freezer.
- Use as directed by your recipe or at the following rate: 1 packet per gallon of milk, 2 packets per 2-4 gallons, or 4 packets per 5-10 gallons.
- Heat milk and culture according to temperatures outlined in your recipe.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Direct-set (single-use) culture, no maintenance required.
- Having trouble making fresh cheese? Browse our Expert Advice Articles on Cheesemaking or contact us for assistance!
Fresh Cheese Starter Culture Ingredients
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar. diacetylactis, Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
Fresh Cheese Starter Culture Allergen Information
- Manufactured in a facility that produces products containing soy and dairy.
What is a Direct-Set Culture?
Direct-Set cultures are a one-time-use culture, they cannot be recultured (i.e. perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-Set cultures are often preferred by cheese makers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packet in the freezer and remove the portion for your recipe when it's time to make cheese. Most Direct-Set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.
Actual product may differ from image shown above.