This is simple to make and keep on hand for topping any sort of dessert, or adding to cold water for a refreshing soda.
- 4 cups mixed berries
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whey
- 1/4 cup rapadura or organic sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- In a bowl mix together washed berries, kosher salt, whey, and sugar. Mash berries into a liquid sauce.
- Place into a clean, quart-size jar with a tight lid.
- Leave on the counter at room temperature to ferment for 48 to 72 hours.
- After fermentation, stir in the maple syrup.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Note: You can get a more fizzy and less sweet result if you add the maple syrup to the berry mixture before fermenting.
Ready to Learn More?