Fermented Apple Cranberry Chutney
So delicious with turkey, ham, or chicken! You’ll want this all year long, not just during the holidays, so be sure to freeze some extra cranberries.
- 3 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup Granny Smith or Fuji apple (about one large apple)
peeled and chopped
- 1 cup organic raisins
- 1 cup dates, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup honey (optional)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 packet Caldwell's Vegetable Starter Culture dissolved in 1/4 cup unchlorinated water
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes, until slightly thick.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, sterilize 4 8-ounce jars.
- When chutney is cool, divide among jars, leaving 1 to 2 inches headroom.
- Stir 1 tablespoon of prepared starter culture into each jar and cap securely. Let sit at room temperature for 2 days before refrigerating. Use within 2 months.
Ready to Learn More?