Paneer & Queso Blanco Cheese Making Kit
- Product Review (submitted on May 1, 2014):
I ordered this kit because I want to branch out from my yogurt-making into making my own cheese, as well. First, before I get to the minutiae, let me tell you that I finished my first batch of paneer today. It was SO easy! The instruction book was very clear, the process was very easy and the cheese turned out great. I was able to slice and fry it for an Indian curry tonight.
Now, here's the nitty gritty:
* The thermometer that comes in the kit is super tiny (and the face on mine was scratched pretty badly when it arrived, anyway). I have a large-face yogurt thermometer that I prefer to use. You will NOT need this with the paneer, but you will with the queso. Probably better off buying a large face thermometer on your own.
* The butter muslin is really nice and they give you a very generous amount. I already had one, but mine is much smaller.
* There is a nice-size bag of powdered citric acid.
* The instruction book is very well written and easy to follow.
Now, given all of this, you're probably better off to go buy your own butter muslin, citric acid and thermometer of your choice. If you already have one (or more) of the items in this kit, don't buy it. However, if you have nothing, are absolutely new to the world of cheesemaking and don't know the first thing about buying any of this stuff on your own, then I'd spend the money.
In all, it's a nice kit. I just wish I'd had the confidence (and common sense!) to realize that I already had most of these components in my kitchen. :-)