Crème Fraîche Vanilla Ice Cream
Creamy, smooth and delcious, this vanilla ice cream recipe is like nothing you've tasted! Add fresh fruit or other flavors for variety.
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- ¾ cup sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, blend first five ingredients with a whisk.
- Add vanilla and salt and continue blending until sugar is dissolved. It should be frothy when you are done.
- Chill the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Pour the mixture into a crank freezer or electric ice-cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- Store in a lidded container in the freezer.
- If you do not have an ice-cream maker:
- Fill a quart-size zipper-style bag two-thirds full with the ice cream mixture and zip it closed.
- Put that bag inside a gallon-size zipper-style bag.
- Hold the mouths of the bags flush while somebody else fills the gallon-size bag with crushed ice and rock salt, in layers.
- Zip the gallon-size bag closed and begin to massage and shake the bags to achieve the same effect as from a classic ice cream freezer.
- Keep checking the quart bag to see if the ice cream has frozen sufficiently.
- Ice cream made using this method is generally served at the “soft-serve” stage.
Ready to Learn More?